Doctor - Italy
*Attention! This vacancy has been translated automatically, the official job offer can be found on the Italian version of this website*
INTERSOS is a non-profit humanitarian organization which works on behalf of populations in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. INTERSOS bases its action on the values of solidarity, justice, dignity of the person, equal rights and opportunities for all peoples, respect for diversity, coexistence, attention to the weakest and most defenceless.
Terms of reference
Position : Doctor
Code : SR-01-3312
Country : Italy
City : Foggia
Start date : 06/02/2023
Duration : 7 months, renewable
Supervisor : European Region Medical Referent and Head of Medical Activities (MaM)
Employees : Non-family duty station
INTERSOS has been active in Italy since 2011 with protection projects, socio-health assistance and promotion of socio-economic inclusion, in favor of people in conditions of extreme vulnerability, including unaccompanied foreign minors (MSNA), survivors of gender-based violence (VDG) and sexual and labor exploitation. There are currently active interventions in Sicily, Calabria, Puglia, Lazio and Piedmont.
In the Province of Foggia, it operates with two Mobile Medical Units (MMU), to provide basic social health assistance in marginalized contexts, with two main objectives: to guarantee health coverage to patients who do not have access to local health services (migrants on the move , non-integrated migrants, seasonal workers, marginalized individuals or communities) and to catalyze better and more inclusive approaches by the Local Health Authorities and the competent Health Authorities, with a strong local institutional advocacy action and a widespread network of grassroots movements.
Providing basic healthcare autonomously on the Mobile Medical Unit, supporting the PM and the Head of medical activities in project impact assessment, operational network development, health promotion and health awareness.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Provide medical care, prevention and pre-triage autonomously on the Mobile Medical Unit with the support of two cultural mediators, with careful attention to the critical issues of the area, respecting the safety recommendations of the project (e.g. CPP, SoPs)
- Liaise with the public health services for referral of patients and for follow-up of medical care
- Verify and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment that are under his responsibility and will take care of the quality, disinfection and sterilization of medical material.
- Ensure the effectiveness of referrals of patients to social services and general practitioners with particular attention to vulnerable people, ensuring that patients are taken care of.
- Contribute to establishing higher standards of social and health care in the "hard-to-reach" population in relation to medical care, acting with courtesy and maintaining harmony between operational partners and between project staff
- Represents INTERSOS locally;
- At the request of the PM or the Regional Medical Referent performs extra tasks (participation in medical assessments, reinforcement for another team in the field, project evaluation);
- Assumes the task of protecting confidential information on beneficiaries to ensure professional confidentiality and to keep INTERSOS documents internal and confidential.
- Participate in the collection, transmission and analysis of epidemiological data, controlling its quality and informing the line manager of any problem or complication of the patients' disease,
- Liaise with Program, Logistics and Human Resources department as required.
Requirements - Educational qualification
- Medicine degree
- Non-compulsory specialist degree, but will be considered an added value
- Minimum 6 months of primary health care work experience
- Experience of working with asylum seekers and people of foreign origin
- Work experience in the humanitarian sector desirable
- Experience in health promotion desirable
- Qualification to practice the medical profession
- Knowledge of the Italian National Health System and its access rules
- Knowledge of Italian laws on seasonal work and asylum seekers
- Essential computer knowledge (word, excel, internet)
- French desirable
- Intercultural sensitivity
- Ability to work in difficult contexts
- Stress management
- Driving license B
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application through the following link: https://www.intersos.org/en/work-with-us/italy/#intersosorg-vacancies-italy/vacancy-details/6373b8b5a6edc000210d844d/
Please note that our application system consists of 3 simple steps! Applicants must register on our platform including their name, email, password, nationality and Skype address. Then, log in and apply by sending your CV and motivational letter in PDF format.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.